Package Delivery Safety
Tis the season to be merry but others believe it is also the season to help themselves to your packages delivered to your residence. Next Monday is Cyber Monday and thieves will be preparing to take advantage of the shopping season. We encourage online shoppers to take precautions when having items delivered. You are able to register for accounts with the big delivery companies and arrange for you package to be delivered to drop off locations, if you cannot do this here are some tips to help prevent theft.
1. Lockboxes: You can build or purchase a rugged lock box for your porch. Bolt it down to a permanent surface, concrete or asphalt work well.
2. Timely package collection: Pick up your package immediately after delivery, or have a neighbor collect it. UPS, USPS, and FedEx all have tracking services to get a better idea of when exactly your order will arrive.
3. Have your package delivered to you at work, so you can accept it immediately.
4. Require a signature on all deliveries and insure your packages when possible.
5. Security cameras: Security cameras are a tried and true deterrent for all manner of criminal behavior. Thieves are very aware of cameras and often look for them before attempting theft.
6. Security signs: Post a sign in your yard informing the poacher that your home is under video surveillance or has security alarms.
If you see anything suspicious in your neighborhood this holiday season, contact our department (9-1-1) or you local department immediately.
Bellevue Borough PD